How to remove mold from your roof in three easy steps

Jun 1, 2021 | Education

Wherever there’s a surface that’s both warm and wet, there’s the distinct possibility that mold will grow on it. As such, though professional roofers are certainly capable of removing mold from your roof as they’re orchestrating a full-scale inspection, it could very well be worth your while to learn how to properly dispose of it yourself.

So how do you do it? Well, there are three simple steps.

Step one: take proper safety measures.

It’s always safety first, in anything you do in life. When you’re standing on a slanted roof that’s a few dozen feet off the ground, that goes double. Never stray too close to the edge of your roof- if that’s where the mold is, try using a ladder to attack the mold if possible. If you’re able to get your hands on slip-resistant boots, it’s highly recommended to wear them.

But even beyond simply making sure that you don’t fall off the roof, there are considerable safety precautions you should take. In order to remove the mold, you’re going to be handling chemicals that are problematic for bare skin. As such, be sure to cover as much of your body as you possibly can. That means a long sleeve shirt and long pants to protect your arms and legs, goggles to protect your eyes, and rubber gloves to protect your hands and fingers.

Step two: hose off the mold with fresh water, and then a chemical solution

The next step is to take a garden hose and spray downward and away from your body at the mold with fresh water. Whenever possible, be sure to spray from higher up on the roof downward to avoid inflicting damage to your shingles. Also, try to aim the stream of water away from any plants or bushes that may be on the ground near the side of your house.

Now it’s time for the cleaning solution. Mix one quart of bleach with a gallon of water and a fourth of a cup of trisodium phosphate, and apply it to the area that had mold on it via a pump sprayer. Any mold-spawning bacteria that may remain will most likely be killed off by the chlorine in the bleach, and the trisodium phosphate will take care of any unsightly stains that the bleach may have otherwise caused.

Rinse the cleaning solution residue away

While the bleach can do wonders against mold, it can also do more damage than good if left to just sit there. You should let the cleaning solution sit and do its job for approximately 15 minutes, but then it needs to be washed away, too. 

Take your garden hose and apply another healthy stream of fresh water to the area that once had the mold on it. To be certain all the concentrated chemicals have been eradicated, spray your entire roof with tap water for good measure. If even the slightest amount of the cleaning solution is left on your roof, it could cause permanent damage to your shingles.


Are you in need of a roof repair or replacement? Contact our team at Southline Roofing right away!

Latest Posts