The three major types of asphalt roofing shingles are strip shingles, dimensional shingles, and luxury shingles.
These shingles are also known as 3-tab shingles. They are the original and most basic asphalt shingles. Strip Shingles are made with a single layer of asphalt with a very flat appearance that typically offers a slate look. They typically cost less than others due to their production. In the 1980s they were the most predominant roofing shingle in the market. Today, they are most often used by home builders that manufacture inexpensive homes. They wear out faster than other types of shingles.
These shingles are also known as architectural or laminate shingles. These are currently the most prevalent asphalt shingles. They are made with two or more layers of asphalt that are fused for a thicker and richer multi-dimensional appearance. Dimensional shingles also cost a little more than strip shingles but can last twice as long with proper maintenance. They are engineered to replicate the wood shake and natural slate roofing aesthetics. Dimensional shingles are typically heavier and more durable than strip shingles.
These shingles are the highest-quality laminated shingles available. They offer a differentiated appearance or functionality that outclasses other types of shingles. Luxury Shingles offer premium protection against weathering, they look stunning and present the highest quality, coloration, and dimensionality. Many luxury shingles are made to mimic the look of other roofing materials. They can be made to look like wooded shakes and slate tiles.
Other Unique Types of Shingles
Several other types of shingles can be used!!
- Wood shingles are composed of several different types of wood that are split into thin sections.
- Rubber shingles are a unique product made out of recyclable materials and when the rubber is formed into shingles they look similar to asphalt shingles.
- Metal shingles have a stylish appearance with many different color options available.
- Solar shingles are one of the most modern types of roof shingles you can have installed today. This type of shingle is also environmentally friendly.
- Slate Tile Shingles are made from a stone roofing material that is installed as a shingle.
- Composite Plastic Roof Shingles are generally produced from recycled plastic materials.
Are you in need of immediate roofing repairs or a roof replacement? The team at Southline Roofing is here to help. Contact us today!